Sunday, November 22, 2009

Lion's Head Lighthouse, Bruce Peninsula

















Lion's Head lighthouse, Bruce Peninsula, Ontario

EOS 1Ds mark III, TS-E 24mm II tilt-shift lens (shifted slightly to keep the lighthouse straight); Singh-Ray LB warming polarizer; mirror lock-up and cable release; Exposure: ISO 100; 1/30s at f/11

The town of Lion's Head boasts one of the most scenic harbours I've found on the Great Lakes. The lighthouse, blue water of Georgian Bay and distant Niagara Escarpment cliffs make an excellent combo for photos. Only a half hour from my place, I often drop in to shoot if the afternoon light is right.... as I did today.

Having photographed this lighthouse many times, I'm always looking for fresh perspectives and elements. I knew that having a person in the scene would add scale, but I was solo. No problem! With a remote/timer cable release set to shoot a frame every 10 seconds, I simply walked into the scene and posed myself for a series of photos. OK, so I'm not a supermodel... just a temporary fill in for the occasional outdoor photo!

Happy shooting!

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:36 PM

    More predictable Bruce Pen. tourist board crap. Keelhaul 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Predictable? Of course! A viable photo business requires shooting marketable images. Most outdoor/nature photographers who aspire to become pro fail because they focus on the 'art' instead of business strategy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That tilt-shift kept you slim and trim. Cheers to Canon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, look at that lighthouse. We know which way the prevailing wind is blowing! :>)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn11:15 AM

    Ethan, well said.

    And nice shot. I used to try hard to keep people out of shots, then woke up one day to discover that they added interest, scale, etc. And it's so convenient when "models" wear red on those outdoor shoots. ;)

    BTW, I did a lot of early morning shooting this past week using a polarizing filter. I get why you are using the warming polarizer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place, I went there I think on 06 with some friends and the view and the people there are just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hello, this post remember me when i was a child, i do not know why....

    ReplyDelete