Saturday, March 05, 2011

Algonquin Park winter scenes

I'm off to Belize tomorrow for a short escape from winter to do some tropical shooting. In sharp contrast of weather, I was in Algonquin Park this past week and one morning checked my themometer which read a rather frigid -24C (but it was a beautifully sunny and calm morning!). A friend called me on my cellphone and my cheeks were so numb I could barely speak! 

I don't have much time to process the files (I'm packing) but couldn't resist posting a few inital shots: 

 
Photo 1 (above): Hoar frost along Opeongo Lake Road, Algonquin Park. Canon EOS 5D mark II; Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 lens; Singh-Ray 3 stop hard edge ND grad




Photo 2 (above): Sunset over Lake of Two Rivers, Algonquin Provincial Park. Canon EOS 5D mark II; Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 lens; Singh-Ray LB warming polarizer & 2 stop hard edge ND grad


Photo 3 (above): Sunset over Spruce Bog, Algonquin Provincial Park. Canon EOS 5D mark II; Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 lens; Singh-Ray LB warming polarizer & 3 stop soft edge ND grad


Photo 4 (above): Common Redpoll on spruce crown, Algonquin Provincial Park
Canon EOS 1D mark IV; Sigma 300mm f/2.8 lens

8 comments:

  1. Lovely series of photos. I particularly like the first and last image. The isolated stand of snow covered trees is hauntingly beautiful. The Redpoll is cute and is well framed, but appears a tad flat.

    Daniel

    Explore. Dream. Discover.
    http://daniels-view.blogspot.com/
    --

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great series. I like the combination of warm and cool colors in number 2. Very compelling shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Daniel and Frank for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great images. You sure picked the best time to be up in Algonquin. Very few people, no bugs and great light. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful shot! It looks surreal!xcellent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW!! Love the composition, clean background and colours! Could simply feel its resilience against the extreme weather!

    ReplyDelete