Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Toucans, King Vultures & Howler Monkeys - photos from my recent Costa Rica trip

I'm freshly back to cold Ontario after a great trip to Costa Rica. I've been there a couple times before, but it's been many years. It was everything I remembered and more! 

My trip started on the Nicoya Peninsula (Pacific coast) which was extremely hot and dry (drinking plenty of beer in the shade was necessary to stay refreshed). I stayed with friends in a big rental house overlooking the ocean at Playa Ostional, an area well-known for nesting sea turtles and great surfing. There were excellent opportunities to photograph waterbirds along the shoreline (see the brown pelican photo-bomb image below) and Howler Monkeys literally from our deck.  

Brown Pelican photo bomb, Nosara, Costa Rica.
Gear: Canon 1DX & 100-400 IS II
Howler Monkey, Ostional, Costa Rica
Gear: Canon 1DX & 100-400 IS II
After a week of the extreme coastal heat (including a couple down days due to heat/sun stroke), I headed inland to an ecolodge located in lowland Caribbean tropical forest. The place was amazingly well set-up for bird photographers and birders. Fruit feeders around a covered deck attracted a dizzying array of toucans, tanagers, honeycreepers and and other tropical birds. I shot thousands and thousands of photos in the span of only a couple days. At one point, I was thinking 'Come on, not another toucan." It was that good! 

Keel-billed Toucan, Costa Rica
Gear: Canon 1DX & 500/4 IS
Keel-billed Toucan, Costa Rica
Gear: Canon 1DX & 500/4 IS
Collared Aracaris, Costa Rica
Gear: Canon 1DX & 500/4 IS
King Vulture was high on my photographic wish list, so I joined up with another photographer I met at the lodge to rent a blind that was built specifically for shooting King Vultures. Spending 2 hours in there photographing this amazing vulture species up close was one of the all-time highlights in over 20 years as a bird photographer! A face only a mother can love?

King Vulture, Costa Rica
Gear: Canon 1DX & 500/4 IS + 1.34 III
The coastal scenery of Costa Rica never disappoints! San Juanillo was my favourite snorkeling location and great for sunsets too! 
Sunset at San Juanillo, Costa Rica
Gear: Canon 1DX & 24-70/4 L IS 
 I should end with a quick shout-out to the CPS (Canon Pro Servics) gang at Canon Canada, who saved my butt by loaning me a 1DX body after I had a wee accident with another body immediately before the trip. What fun it was to enjoy the blazingly fast frame rate of the 1DX.... a seriously badass camera! 

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Gorgeous shots. I love that first one of the pelican. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ethan,
    I just wanted to say that I love your work. Your close-up photography is really great!

    Greetings from the Netherlands!

    Gert Jan
    www.gertjanhermus.nl

    ReplyDelete
  3. That vulture is a crack up. The opening picture is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That vulture is a crack up. The opening picture is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    I read your blog, you have shared amazing information about Toucans, King Vultures & Howler Monkeys - photos from my recent Costa Rica trip. I really like those pictures which you captured. I also love photography and photography is my passion. I really like your blog and information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a treat!
    Thanks for another great posting.
    All the best in the new year Ethan.
    The Mac Leans Shell and Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! These photos are stunning. I'll be following your blog as of now. Thanks for your fine work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your work is truly inspirational Ethan. Thank you

    https://cuttsnaturephotogr.wixsite.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:41 AM

    Stunning shot! Your photography skills are really appreciable. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for writing this! I love it so much!!!

    ReplyDelete