Monday, April 10, 2006

Digital Slide Show Software

I do a ton of slide presentations for nature and camera clubs. Over the past couple years, I've been working on digitizing all my shows by scanning the slides, and of course adding new images that I've shot digitally.

For a long time, I was using PowerPoint software for my digital shows, but I recently shifted to some excellent slide show software called Pictures to Exe. It's dead simple to use, has smooth transitions, syncs very easily to music and best of all - it's cheap. And for some reason (it may be that my digital technique is just improving) , the photos look much better to me with this program.

Once you've laid your show out, you hit one button and it creates a stand-alone Exe. program for your entire show. To play the show, you simply launch the Exe file - and voila.... your show runs smoothly and reliably.

I love the simplicity of this software and the high-calibre results I'm getting from it.

Many photographers are using another program called ProShow Gold. This software has more bells and whistles than Pictures to Exe, and it costs about twice as much. It's a good alternative if you want to do more complex shows with a greater array of special effects.

Have fun sharing your photos!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:10 PM

    But Ethan, if you had a Mac, you could easily out-do what you have created by using Keynote (Apple's own PowerPoint killer) or iPhoto.

    One day you will see the light, my friend, one day....

    S.P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, I knew it wouldn't be long before you found my blog and dropped in some pro-Mac comments! FWIW, I got an IPOD for Christmas, my first Mac product... so give me time.... baby steps, eh!
    E-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:33 AM

    I shouldn't get into this but I can never understand how so-called visual people can stand using the Window interface. Can't be cost - don't think people who drop $11G on a lense try to save $200 on a computer. Maybe it's the prospect of loosing your drive to viruses.

    Eric - Mac owner since '87.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Eric,
    I’m probably the least qualified (or interested) person to drag into a serious discussion about PC vs Mac. I’d rather be outside taking photos.

    There are many options in life, but what ultimately matters is the end result.

    My computer system works well for me - it continues to be an excellent business tool, helping me enjoy success in the stock photography market. So I’m happy to stick with something I already own, am comfortable using, and is giving me good results.

    Macs are excellent computers and well-suited to imaging. In the future when I need to replace or upgrade, I’ll certainly consider Mac as an option.

    But in the meantime, I'm going to save my hard-earned cash for travelling to amazing natural locations with my USED lens that cost much less than $11G !!

    Happy shooting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:50 PM

    All correct answers Ethan LOL. Steve's disciples are always looking for converts though.

    I passed on another 300 buck pola this year figuring the money would be better spent buying gas and tires towards a trip. I have a couple of used items and it's common to see the large cannons acquired used. I wouldn't expect your's to fit in my car though.

    Maybe see you in Toronto next week. I'm following your footsteps and vice versa more than you may realize. Best regards to Willie.

    Cheers - Eric

    ReplyDelete