Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Alabama Hills

Prior to crossing the Sierra Nevada mountains, I stopped in the Alabama Hills near Lone Pine, California. This is a very scenic area for landscape photography, with sculpted rock formations backed by the snow-capped Sierras. Many films, including classic westerns, have been filmed here.

Below are a few of the images from my brief time in the hills. Since the sky was clear, the opportunity to make truly dramatic sphotos was limited. So I used my timer to jump into some of the photos to add an element of perspective. This also shows my family and friends that I'm still alive and well.

I'm sitting in a laundromat on the north coast of Cali and the light conditions are terrible in here for processing the photos on my laptop, so I hope these look ok!

Photo 1) The cliche sunrise photo of Mobius Arch framing the Sierras.
EOS 1DsIII; 24-70/2.8 lens; Singh-Ray LB warming polarizer; cable release & mirror lock-up
Exposure: 1/30s @ f/18; ISO 200


Photo 2) Me framed by Mobius Arch at sunset (horizontal)
EOS 1DsIII; 24-70/2.8 lens; Singh-Ray LB warming polarizer; cable release & mirror lock-up
Exposure: 1/10s @ f/22; ISO 200


Photo 3) Me framed by Mobius Arch at sunset (vertical)
EOS 1DsIII; 24-70/2.8 lens; Singh-Ray LB warming polarizer; cable release & mirror lock-up
Exposure: 1/30s @ f/22; ISO 200


Photo 4) Afterglow at Mobius Arch
EOS 1DsIII; 24-70/2.8 lens; Singh-Ray LB colorcombo polarizer; 2-stop hard edge ND grad; cable release & mirror lock-up
Exposure: 1.3s @ f/22; ISO 200


Photo 5) Moonlit camping in the Alabama Hills
Yes, that's where I camped (I was in the van during the long exposure)!
EOS 1DsIII; 24-70/2.8 lens
Exposure: 477 seconds @ f/11; ISO 200

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:06 AM

    you hope they look okay...funny Meleg, very funny! Photo # 3 is awesome - I love flair. I vote you hang that in your house...errr...van :)

    ReplyDelete