Laughing Gull pair courting
EOS 50D; 500/4 IS & 1.4x TC
ISO 200; 1/500 @ f/8
As of today, I've been on the road for 6 months. What a blast the trip has been with many extraordinary experiences, interesting people, and some of the best photos I’ve ever shot. I thought you might like to hear some stats and stories from along the way.
Before I get into it, let me say a huge thanks to all of you for checking out the blog…. and especially those who've taken time to post or send a comment. THANKS!
Stats since I started the trip on October 20, 2008:
- 40,190 km driven
- 45,500 photos taken
- 558 km walked carrying my camera gear
- 2-3 days – average time between showers
- 6 days - longest time wearing the same t-shirt
- 358 species of birds seen
- 8,174 different blog visitors
- climbing a landslide: most dangerous thing I've done (aside from driving)
- $141/gallon – cheapest gas I found (Tucson in December)
- favorite towns: Portal, Arizona and Mendocino, California
- favorite spots: giant redwood forests of northern California & Death Valley, California
- top trip songs: The Unforgettable Fire (U2), Big Casino (Jimmy Eat World)
- trip album: Viva la Vida (Coldplay)
- worst sleep: Radisson Hotel, Phoenix (domestic dispute outside my room; they set off the fire alarm at 2:30am)
- best park staff: South Llano River State Park, Texas
- cheapest bottle of wine consumed: Charles Shaw Cabernet Sauvignon ($2)
- celebrity encounters: Hulk Hogan passed me while driving
- 1 camera destroyed to get Canvasback duck photo (Canon G9)
- Sierra Nevada Pale Ale - best beer
I'll be back in Ontario in just over a week and look forward to touching bases with friends and family, as well as shooting on my home turf, as the journey continues.
How many photos deleted?ReplyDelete
How many friends did you have while wearing a 6 day old T shirt LOL? Great adventure. Keep the photos and stories coming.ReplyDelete
Your photography is truly amazing! I always look forward to opening your blog to see what new fab pictures you've taken. Nice work. :)ReplyDelete
Interesting stats! I've been reading you since the beginning of your trip...im always triled to read you stories and see your wonderfull images!ReplyDelete
$2 wine? YIKES!ReplyDelete
...sounds like you are having a great time, Ethan. The stats you have kept are quite interesting - I may have to do the same for my pending trip overseas.
Anita, I have probably kept about 10-20% of those photos. And once I get back to a decent desktop computer, I'll delete many more!
Amelia, that $2 wine is surprisingly good!
Ummmm....passed by Hulk Hogan? Too easy. Glad to hear all's still well and love the stats, great images as always. Safe trip home, I suspect the shower and t-shirt stats will significantly improve here...ReplyDelete
Love the pics, can't wait to catch up as we have lots of news for you...Amanda had a baby boy!
Love Pamela aka Dean Ware's wife
I have really been enjoying your posts. Keep up the good work (and the dream alive).ReplyDelete
If you ever come around the Ottawa area, we should try and meet.
Just wanted to say thanks for taking us along the journey Ethan. I like your taste in music! :-)ReplyDelete