Friday, May 08, 2009

Wildflower Workshop & latest bird photos

There are two spots left for my upcoming wildflower photography workshop in early June on the Bruce Peninsula. This is one of the best places and times to shoot wildflowers in Ontario! The workshop is a chance to learn techniques for making sharp, well-lit and artistic wildflower photos... and to find out where the best spots are! Photos 1 & 2 were taken during my last wildflower workshop - same place, same time of year. Send me a note if you're interested.

Photo 1: Yellow Lady's Slippers (wide angle cluster)
The tour is timed to coincide with the peak blooming period for Yellow Lady Slipper orchids.... we should have a chance to photograph lots of them.... some years there are thousands!


Photo 2: Striped Coralroot
This is one of the more unique-looking orchid species. I used flash and reflectors to create dramatic lighting and isolate the flower from the background.
This week I've been focused on shooting backyard bird species at my parents' house in the Pelee area. We developed a great feeder setup with blinds and strategically placed perches. I'm hoping for a good wave of orioles, grosbeaks and buntings to keep me busy!
Photo 3: American Goldfinch on apple blossom branch
Photo 4: Blue Jay on stump
Photo 5: Blue Jay on stump with peanut
I smeared peanut butter on the inside of the stump and stuck peanuts in it, which the Blue Jays love!

7 comments:

  1. This is great! I wish I am able to take photos like this. Just fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you do capturing birds images without having them flown?Great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Galang, thanks for your note. The birds land on my perches before moving to the feeders, so I usually have a brief moment to photograph them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great compositions and crispy images. The natural mood gives it a wonderful shot. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great images, Ethan. Good luck with the workshops!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, very nice photos, nice composition and colors !! here is another source of beautiful nature photos from Romania: http://photos.cristinsculpture.com/

    ReplyDelete