Monday, December 29, 2008

Tucson birds - part 2

Tucson is a great city for bird photography.... there are birds all over the place. I've been hooked on a small flock of Canvasback that have found a small pond as their desert oasis. This is a tough species to shoot - I've never had a good crack at them until now - so I'm taking full advantage of the great opportunity. They're one of my favorite duck species.

Here are a few photos from the past couple days. All shot with EOS 1Ds mIII and 500IS with 1.4x or 2x teleconverters.

Photo 1: Canvasback incoming


Photo 2: Canvasback portrait


Photo 3: Cactus Wren


Photo 4: Northern Mockingbird

4 comments:

  1. the red eye in #2 is killer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:15 AM

    Ethan! Wow what talent you have! I never knew these guys hung around my backyard! A. where did you find water in Tucson? 2nd where'd you find Canvasbacks? and C! those frekin cactus wrens wake me up like clockwork...Enjoy Tucson! Enjoy your Family and Enjoy Life!
    Kindest Regards!
    David Sadorf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! David, the birds are in a pond at Reid Park near the dog walk area (access from Cross Country just north of 22nd). They hang out with all the typical park ducks. Take some food to attract the flock.
    BTW, the house is great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ethan,
    It's been a great journey and the photos that you have shared are all amazing, not to mention the interesting stats!! I'm looking forward to the rest of the trip in 2009. Happy New Year to you! Janice N.

    ReplyDelete